Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Real 'Hilts'

I was thinking recently about my nickname. My address for this blog is hiltsthecoolerking. I wanted to explain about the name a little.
I like my nickname of Hilts. No one else has it. A friend of mine started calling me that after we were talking about my favorite movie at the time, "The Great Escape." I love this movie, and she was the only person I knew my age who had seen it. It's a timeless classic; the story of American and British POWs in a prison camp during World War Two. They have to work together to escape from their German captors. It works for a suspenseful, exciting and at times humorous movie. 'Hilts' is Captain Virgil Hilts, played by Steve McQueen, my favorite actor. I liked the character because he's a rebel. He doesn't let the Germans take him down and break his spirit. They call him the 'cooler king' because he always spends time in solitary confinement, which the prisoners nicknamed, 'the cooler.' There is just something fascinating in Hilts' tenacity. Each time he's led into the Cooler by two German soldiers, his friend tosses him a baseball and glove. Hilts sits in his cell and throws the ball against the wall, over and over again, coming up with his next escape attempt. I remember first seeing that. I thought it was so cool. This guy treated his imprisonment as a job. He'd take the baseball and just throw it, passing the time until he could get out and escape again. No matter how many times they throw him in the Cooler, Hilts never learns his lesson. They never get to him; his spirit is never broken.
That's pretty powerful to me.
Hilts is the perfect hero, because he can't be compromised. He's that kind of character that the others want to be. He's independent and rides a motorcycle to freedom. I think Hilts is the embodiment of a great American hero.
And I'm so glad that I've been nick-named likewise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen (or heard for that matter) of the movie, but it sounds really good. I can see why it would be something you would like. :) We'll have to get together sometime and watch it

Anonymous said...

Aww... well to have a nickname after a character who's personality is much like yours, it must be an honor. Not to mention it's your favorite actor. And the person who gave you that name must have picked it especially. "It's just too fitting for her!" they probly thought. ;) And they must've been right, after all thats all i know you by.

Anonymous said...

That seems like a nice song. I can't really fully appreciate it, because i've never heard it before. But, I like the "Tennessee rain" part, lol. Yes, give yourself a pat on the back and take a vacay in Tennessee. Don't go to the smokies though. The place is just crawling with tourists and buildings, it destroys the beauty of the scenery! Or it was just where we were, but its up to you. And your welcome. Glad to be honored as such!