Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammy Griping

Yesterday was the 51st Annual Grammy awards. Usually I like watching this kind of thing. I get to see all the artists and watch them perform. Sometimes I think it's a little bit corny, especially as far as jokes go (I'll get to that in a minute). But most of the time it's usually cool to see. I did like what I saw the first few minutes- U2 was playing their new song, "Get on Your Boots," which I ended up liking. Of course, the stupid L.A. crowd went absolutely mild.... About that... they must not know how to categorize something as cool. Not only was U2 ignored, so was Kid Rock, it seemed. Everyone else had cheers abound for the stupid Jonas Brothers (ugh!) and all the rappers and stuff. Which, yeah, I'm not a big fan of rap, and I suppose it was good or whatever...but come on. Plus, the 'jokes' that came about were the lamest dang things I'd ever heard. Thank God there was only a couple of them. I felt sorry for poor Dwayne Johnson (aka the Rock).... he got the worst of it. His joke didn't even fizzle out- it straight up DIED right there, like all the air was sucked out of the room. I kid you not.
COLDPLAY won best rock album and song of the year. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!!!! They were up against Metallica, the Raconteurs and Kid Rock, and they WON?!! Seriously. I was upset with that one... Something is not right with that. Even if you're a Coldplay fan, you know that they aren't rock. They're pop at the very least- Mope Rock is what I call it. I can imagine Metallica trashing Coldplay's dressing room roaring, 'where's my Grammy, you idiots!!' But maybe that's a tad over doing it... :)All the performances were good, though, except for Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus, which I totally flipped the channel for. I have nothing against the former, but the latter I just can't stand. And Raidohead. Ugh- hate them, too. Thank God they didn't win album of the year... Robert Plant and Alison Krauss did, which I was happy about. I was happy to see a deserving artist get that award.

And, much to my ecstatic-ness (which is not a word) my lovely band GREEN DAY showed up to present the award for album of the year. How awesome! I get to see them again after a loooong time, and that's always nice. They don't look too bad, if you ask me. (pic via GDA). Of course, they were their endearingly strange selves. :) The new album is called "21st Century Breakdown," and it's coming out in May! Yay! Can't wait for it! Billie Joe had the last word before they all left the stage, hinting at what's to come, albeit with tongue in cheek, "Good bye, and we'll see ya next year."
I better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its nice to hear a fellow critic of how a show is 'supposed' to run. Theres not many of us, which can be difficult agianst the uncultured masses of robots listening to the same thing thier whole life! So, how would they know what "true" music is. Of course, as you know, I'm not at all a punk rock fan. but, at leat you KNOW your music. Seriously, someone asked me who Ringo star was! WHAT?! err...But, any way, your post shows you actually know WHAT your talking about. ;)