Monday, August 31, 2009

'She plays her vinyl records/ Singing songs on the eve of destruction'

I just want to take the time to say this: (and I couldn't resist the title)
I HAVE THE "1,000 HOURS" E.P. !!!!
Yes, that's right. I totally forgot that Reprise Records re-issued all of Green Day's albums on vinyl- every single one! So in addition to the fabled '1,000 Hours' E.P. I also have "Slappy" and the original '39/Smooth' L.P. It's really amazing to say that I now own these things...they're such 'fabled' items to obtain. And at this point, I just really like like looking at them. Everything is completely the way it's supposed to be...replicated to a tee! Anyway, it's so amazing to have these vinyl copies. I love having those records, because everything seems so much large than life, y'know? Like it's been completely blown up so you can see every possible detail and you just kind of lose yourself in it. I love listening to them and re-hear all those songs as if for the first time! I love the artwork, and the goofy pictures of the band inside, and the cramped, hand-written lyrics inside.
But '1,000 Hours' is still my favorite.
I'm not really sure why, though...Maybe it's because on the back it says, 'Billy: guitar, hat, Mike: bass, hair, John: drums, bus." Or maybe it's because every time I pull out the teeny vinyl .45 and it says copyright 1991 on it. OR maybe I absolutely love the whole damn thing because it has handwritten lyrics and doodles and blurry pictures and hastily scribbled thank-yous.
And the only thing that proves it's a reissue would be the fact it says 'greenday.com' in the lower left hand corner. ;)
So, I encourage those of you who haven't ever heard a record before to go out and find one of them! It certainly opens up a whole new perspective on your favorite band.
And yes, the Green Day-ness won't stop. ;)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! I love the older stuff, I used to have the 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, I don't know what ever happened to all my cd's after i moved out and went into the military....*sniff* :( how sad...
That must be exciting to have the vinyls! I wouldn't have much use for one though, since I wouldn't be able to listen to it! I'd love to see the goofy pictures though.

Anonymous said...

Thats so nifty lovely!! I'm glad you got it, it sounds amazing!!

Even though it's not as cool, I love buying blank cds that are 'fake vinyls.' They have all the same details, etc. except for the fact that they're cds! I think they're pretty nifty.