Monday, December 1, 2008

Drummer Boy

Today, at the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to write about a drummer. I actually am. But this guy isn't just any old drummer that I randomly picked from some where.
He's Tre Cool.
I mean, honestly. What can I say about him that already hasn't been said in his name? The man is a great drummer. He's no Neil Peart or John Bonham, but he doesn't have to be. Tre is the everyman's kind of drummer. But what's so great about him is his sheer energy. The guy is an enigma or something. Anything and everything he does has some kind of unstoppable energy to it. He almost demands your attention in a way, and I think every drummer should have that kind of attitude. It gets him noticed, that's for sure. This is a guy who sets his drum kit on fire and still plays the stupid thing! How crazy is that? I'm sure there's probably some other dude out there who does the exact same thing, but Tre is just someone you don't see every day. Rarely are there drummers out there who have the ability and the stamina to play as long as he does, and play what he does. He can go from punk rock, to some weird jazz, to whatever else. He's an all around great drummer.
Why am I inspired to write about him, you might ask? I was recently listening to Green Day, and the song "Hitchin' a Ride" came on. Not only that, but I was talking about him with a friend today. But the song is more important. It's one of my favorite songs, but the drums are what carry it. I think that's part of the reason why I like the song; the drums and the basslines get in my head, and I end up singing it the rest of the day. I think it's such a great song, both to sing and have in your head...I owe part of that to Tre. It's a great sound, I guess. 'cymbal-snare-base-cymbal-snare-base.' It's really cool; it gives the song a great staccato feel and the sensation of spinning out of control- but I'm not doing the song any justice at all. It was my fave for awhile.
...I think drummers may get ignored a little bit. That isn't fair. They tend to be the most talented of people, and, in Tre's case, secretly crazy. 'They say' that a drummer's crazy because his brain gets rattled around in his head all the time....who knows if that's true?
But the best thing about Tre is his craziness. He brings a great attitude to the band. He usually lightens up the mood. No matter how serious the band gets, he's always there to make fun of something. I can't sit here and describe how strange this guy can be some times. It makes me sound kind of silly, doesn't it?
I think what I'm trying to say is, Tre speaks for all drummers, in a way. I'm sure there are people out there who follow his example. I just hope they don't hurt themselves trying to be like him. Not only does he set a good example for future drummers, but he's one that can carry a song; make or break it. Songs like "Hitchin' a Ride," "Minority," and "Give Me Novocaine" are all drum-heavy, and they're better for it. I guess I'm just trying to explain how all the musicians in a favorite band shouldn't be ignored. Next time, watch for the face behind the drum kit. There's most likely another kooky personality flailing behind it.

2 comments:

Riku said...

Tre Cool is so amazing!!! I wish that I had the energy that he does. He has astonishing talent. I love "Hitchin' a Ride" it is an incredible!!! Nerh!

Anonymous said...

No slam against your passion for punk rock, hilts. But, honestly, no one can touch Gene Krupa. Most drummers today are nothing more than tempo keepers. Not, saying this is. But, i'm not impressed. SORRY!!