Saturday, November 29, 2008

Batter Up

I love baseball. It's November right now, and it's freezing, which means I am terribly missing baseball. It's quite easily my favorite sport. To me, there's so much more at stake than when you play another sport. The only other sport in my opinion that comes close to it is football. I realize that, in being a woman, people may not really listen to what I have to say on the matter. I can understand that I guess; after all, what dude would want a girl to upstage them in baseball knowledge? But I am getting sick of people ignoring my sports comments. It's nothing big, really; it's more irksome than it is a problem. Some people get it.
Baseball is so much more than fun, too. A lot of times it gets called boring, but that's only because people don't have the patience or the brain to think about what's actually going on. There's so much to think about and the outcome is different every time a batter stands up to the plate. I think it's a very personal game, too. There's nothing better than going to the ball park and sitting in the sun, a cap pulled over your eyes, glove on your hand. Every pop fly that goes into the stands feels like it's coming right at you. That's a great feeling. If you're really close, you can see how the chalk lines get all messed up when the players stand on them. I love how a great plume of dust goes up into the air when a runner slides into second base. Or one of my favorite things is when the first baseman and the man on base always talk to each other between batters. I love looking into the dugout and seeing the players chewing on wads of gum or the pitcher rubbing his hands with the rosin bag. The pine tar is great, too, and each little routine the batters go through when the come up to bat...
The atmosphere is just great. I miss the summer in these dreary and cold months, and I always think of baseball. It makes me both happy and sad at not being able to go out and play it.
My favorite team is the Detroit Tigers, and they've been going through a crappy season lately. What it was was the trading of my FAVORITE player, Pudge Rodriguez. Stupid corporate yobs, selling away my Pudge.... The fact that he went to the Yankees what was got me, and that we got a pitcher WE ALREADY HAD!!!
...Can you tell I'm still torn up about it? But anyway, the Tigers are my team, and this I am proud of. I have been a fan all my life. When I was younger, my grandpa would always have the games on in the summer, and if we went outside and played, we played baseball. My grandparents had a giant backyard, and there was room for all three 'bases' and homeplate. Often times Grandpa would bring out a beaten radio and we'd listen to the game on that while playing. He turned me into a little baseball player. I could throw really far and hit everything. I still can, but I'm pretty rusty now.
Baseball is a great part of my family's life. Since half of my family is Puerto Rican, it's a big deal. Roberto Clemente is like a god or something. :) Nearly all the children in my family played or have played baseball. That goes for my uncles and grandparents, too. It's great, and I'm very proud to say that.
So...I'm just feeling very nostalgic for the Summer and baseball right now. I love watching it on T.V. also. The Tigers on FSN Detroit with Mario Impemba and Rod Allen- the best announcers ever. They make it personal and funny, too. (A friend of mine knows what I mean). I love to watch the batters and the pitchers, and all their little mannerisms. Brandon Inge is my second favorite, and they're moving him back to third base-thank God! Give that man a freaking Golden Glove!!! He's amazing. "It's Gum Time." That was the single greatest thing to come out of the 2006 run for the World Series. When Magglio Ordonez hit that walk-off homerun to win the ALCS... oh my God. It will forever be a fond memory. I just about hit the roof and my dad and uncle spilled their beverages all over the floor when they shot to their feet. We hugged and shouted. It was great... I called my friend and we watched the celebration together. It was a good night!!
...Anyway, that's just how much I love baseball. I miss it so much, especially now. Everything about it is so bright and green and optimistic. It's our national pastime for a reason.
....Hopefully next season, the Tigers will be back on top. No more 'blu Fugs' in the clubhouse. ;)
Can't wait for next season to break out the Rally Caps, Big League Chew and the Sheff Hats.
Awesome.

3 comments:

bekka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bekka said...

you wrote this one just for me.

Mario & Rod! so many quotes. you don't truly appreciate them until you're forced to watch a game on the national Fox or ESPN broadcast.

Pudge was a huge mistake. And Inge will probably forever be underrated.

The Maggs ALCS walk-off always gives me chills.

Anonymous said...

You are definitley a Tombuoy. LOL.Baseball is a fun sport to play. But, not if your watching it. You have to be in the game, get the blood pumping, otherwise it's a bunch of people playing catch. ;)