Friday, November 7, 2008

'30 Rock': See It If You Haven't!!


Since I don't really have anything too serious to write about lately, I'll just write about what I know: pop culture.
One of my favorite t.v. shows is called '30 Rock.' Not only is this one of the funniest shows on the Thursday night line up, it is one of the funniest shows on t.v. I say this because, in all honesty, t.v. is really crappy right now. I mean, seriously. All I get when flipping through the channels is mind-numbingly stupid stuff. Take reality shows for example. Yeah sure, they're good for a few cheap laughs here and there, but they lack a moral center; they lack substance. You can tell that there isn't anything to it other than the fact it was somebody's dumb idea that was turned into a t.v. show. Like that stupid Paris Hilton bff show? I mean honestly, people! What self-respecting person would actually sit down and watch that?!! I don't freaking care if Paris needs a 'bff' and I kinda hope that she doesn't get one. It's obvious her only true friend is money and this show only proves that she wants more of it. If you're dumb enough to go on that show (or any other show like that) and display your stupidity, go right ahead. God!
All this talk of Paris Hilton has brought me to another idea. I don't think there are really any good women role models out there for anyone. I have three nieces, and I wouldn't dare let them grow up to be like Paris Hilton!!! Now, the creator of '30 Rock,' Ms. Tina Fey, is a brilliant girl whom I certainly look up to. Some of my friends and family tell me that I remind them of her. I definitely take that as a compliment. I look up to her because she is a writer, which I would like to be one day. Tina Fey is a very successful women, and has earned a lot of respect for her work on 'Saturday Night Live' and '30 Rock.' She has won Emmys for writing and the best new comedy series. Recently, she was back in the spotlight for making fun of Sarah Palin, due to how similar the two look. It always makes me happy when someone compares me to her, though. I look up to her because of her success, her intelligence, and how she has found her own ground in a predominately man's world. It is common for people to think women aren't funny, but Tina doesn't fit this stereotype. She writes a majority of the episodes for the show and even acts as the main character, Liz Lemon. She has also written movies, like 'Mean Girls' and 'Baby Momma.' She's definitely someone I think helps inspire people and I hope that I could be successful like she is.
Also, her character Liz Lemon is someone I can to relate to, not only because she's Tina Fey, but also because her character is similar to me- personality wise. We're both a bit obsessive about certain things, neurotic, and constantly bothered by other people. (ha ha.) What I mean is, a lot of people ask me to do a lot of things, and often I end up making strange decisions like Liz does. We both have a tendency to have stupid coincidences happen, too. Also worth mentioning is Alec Baldwin, whose dry humor is spot on as Jack, Liz's boss and friend. And how I could forget Tracey Jordan? He is absolutely hilarious, running about the studio like a an overgrown kid who forgot to take his Ritalin. My favorite line of his from last night's episode came after he had finished describing a legal term (very out of ordinary for his character!): "I watched Boston Legal nine times before I found out it wasn't a new Star Trek." Ha! I actually laughed aloud at that...
So, yeah. I definitely feel that this is a wonderfully funny show. The humor is smart humor, full of pop culture references and often a little strange. For example, when Liz thinks she might be pregnant and tells her boyfriend, and he responds by saying, "Cool. We can name the baby Morpheus." But everyone loves zanyiness. Without humor, our lives would be very dull. Tina Fey is a genius!
Take that, Paris.

No comments: