Monday, November 3, 2008

A 'Daily' 'Report' of Laughter


In these turbulent and frustrating times, where do I turn to for comfort? Well, music helps, but if I try to watch t.v. I become bombarded suddenly with all these disturbing news reports. More casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, the financial crisis and the economy in a downturn, gas prices, global warming, the Election-AAArgh!!! So many things happen at once that I can't really pinpoint which issue I want to tackle first....It's all so confusing. So...desperate times call for desperate measures.
Every night at Eight o'clock (except today because it's Monday), I will watch the "Daily Show" with Jon Stewart. After his show, "the Colbert Report" with Stephen Colbert comes on. I watch that, too. It's interesting, because I usually get a lot of my political information from the two of them, and then look it up later for more on the subject. It has become a good way for me to become informed. Both shows give me both sides of the story, but they have a tendency to lean toward a different wing of politics.... Bush Lovers beware! (If there are any of you still left). I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I need to be able to laugh at some of this stuff. Particularly at the stupidity that is involved in American Politics. Both Colbert and Stewart have a great habit of pointing out politician's mistakes, especially if it contradicts whatever it is he or she has been saying. It's like, 'wait...didn't you just say you were against this a month ago?" I favor Jon Stewart, mainly because he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. He acts as one of us, who sit and watch and hear about this stuff and reacts as we do; He's great at bringing out the absurdity and just laughing at it. It's a good thing, too, because some of it is pretty much unbelievable. Often, his reaction to all of this nonsense is a simple, "What the (expletive) is going on?!!" It's times like that when I can relate to him and what a lot of people must be thinking....
So, I'm just glad there's a period where I can just sit back and laugh at this whole thing. At least there are two people out there who have enough brains to explain it all to us....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. so refreshing to hear reason from someone my own age. I get so sick and tired of these feather brained freak shows saying "i don't understand", "I'm bored", "why should i care what goes on in the world?" Because, frankly, YOUR LIVING IN IT!!! Gosh, you cant have a logical discussion. They miss the point, and don't see the BIG picture. As long as the mall is open, and they don't miss the OC, life is good.
You mentioned how i'm very poetic. That may be true, only because i read and love the rythm of old english. And the aloosive mystery of it all. but, you have something that i lack. The art of human insight, and being able to put it into words. You can lokk at someone, usually, and call them by their proper name. You see past the end of your nose, and are realistic. A valued quality in writers. KEPP IT UP, HILTS!