Monday, November 3, 2008

Cutting Loose


Sometimes things happen, and I can’t do anything about it.
I’ll try and try, but it’s no good; it turns out wrong all over again.
I guess I’ve come to grips with that; how nothing in life ever seems fair.
I’ve done what’s left to do, and now I just have to leave.

She looked at him, and he looked at her.
She could sense the distance between them; but there was still something left to feel. Something left that was unspoken.
Whatever they had was now broken.

The door snapped shut and she was gone forever.
He just sat there and stared at the walls; he felt like it was all a dream.
An endless dream that had been haunting him for months.
He heard the car sputter to life and the motor fade into the morning haze.
He opened the window and breathed in the fog, a smart-alec grin across his face.
Now he was free to roam the streets again; to follow the 'shit town lights' to independence.

He stepped out on the pavement, walking down the street.
He stared at the converse sneakers that covered his feet
And smiled.
As he walked deeper into that mist,
He started to sing all the tunes that he’d missed.
The ones he couldn’t sing around her, because she hated them.

He followed the shadows to the end of the Bay.
He heard the echoes of music somewhere along the way,
Realizing how much he’d missed it; how much time had been lost.
He watched his reflection twist and bend.

He left the Bay the day after.
He packed his things and drove off in a cloud of exhaust
With the dog in the back seat
And the guitar lying beside him.
He never looked back.

1 comment:

bekka said...

love this. did you write it?
the beginning is almost exactly what I'm going through right now. I hope my situation turns out like this one. at the same time, though, I'm a little afraid of it turning out like that. I'm kind of afraid to move on and be happy without this person. which probably makes no sense whatsoever.